Sunday, August 19, 2012

And it is Sunday again!

Love Sunday!  Is it because of a Monday through Friday routine since kindergarten? Is Saturday a day to go wild and Sunday a day to muse, be calm, and be part of my home?  Maybe so, although "go wild" has a much different meaning now than it did at 20!

So, first, the Galeux d'eysines this weekend.  The vines are winding down and starting their last days.  We are soon going to be tasting this beautiful squash. The photos are dark because I took this shot shortly after dawn.




















An this is the tomato haul today, plum, slicing, cherry and salad types.  The plum type are San Marzano and are in the oven as I write.  I slice them in half, remove the seeds, place on a baking sheet and sprinkle on olive oil.  I roast them at 350 degrees till soft and tinged with roasted juice.  After they cool I process either chunky or to sauce and freeze in quart freezer bags for the winter.  That's it. The best tomato base anywhere!

One year I sprinkled chopped garlic and thyme before roasting but decided that though delicious I didn't want all my tomatoes to have this flavoring.  And having some herbed and some not is a bother. It is easier to just pull out a bag of sauce from the freezer and then season then it is to rummage around in the freezer for the herbed or plain.


And one last photo, the sun's rays taken from the train platform on Thursday morning!



2 comments:

  1. Your squash and tomatoes are absolutely gorgeous! I was some Galeux seeds last year but didn't have the room to plant one. I'm definitely planting one next year!

    I really should try roasting and freezing some tomatoes. I'm sure my husband would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The Galeux do grow huge fast, but such fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete