Wednesday, February 1, 2012

favas and peas

Planted Italian seed producer's, Pagano, favas (Grano Bianco) this past weekend.  The area planted is probably 5x5 ft.  It is late for our area and favas are usually planted in fall.  If the weather cooperates, I'll have favas.  If not, I will work them into the soil as green manure late this spring. 

For several years I planted saved fava seed but last year's crop not only produced poorly, but it seems the seed either evolved or regressed into a different variety. They were inferior.  Hence, purchasing new seeds. Unfortunately, I was too busy to get into my garden and plant in fall.

I also planted a whole bed, 4x8 ft., of all my left over, various, peas.  I figure if I get peas, well and good.  If not, or if not soon enough, I will turn these into green manure as well.

For once, it is really alright if these plantings don't do well.  My raised beds had very few worms last year.  I am hoping the green manure will help. So, if I turn them under I will grow worms instead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment