Monday, February 6, 2012

Parsnips seeded, renovations go on

This past weekend besides watching a great football game... We looked at bamboo flooring samples and entry doors.  Funny how renovating one thing in your house leads to another!  I will try to get photos up next weekend.

The daffodils and tulips are breaking ground so I put stakes around each spot so the dogs won't sleep or walk on them. The daphne is blooming. It is really happy in its spot. In one of my raised beds I put in a row of parsnips.  I hear they hard to start; we shall see.  I have become very fond of them.  The peas are popping up but the favas haven't made their appearance yet.  The Detroit Red beets are coming up.  Another of my favorite root crops. 

I love roasted beets, at least roasted "my" way. I usually make several portions at one time.  They are deeply flavored and are wonderful to have stashed in the fridge.

Roasted Beets
Cut the tops and rootlets off youngish beets. Scrub clean and slice into bits about and inch (bite sized!).  Put in a baking dish that covers tightly or use a foil packet. Add olive oil, chopped garlic and fresh or dried basil (obviously fresh is best but in the off seasons I add my home grown and dried basil).   Bake at 350 degrees until tender.  This does depend on the tenderness of the beets but a good 40 minutes is a good approximation.  Cool.  Add salt, pepper and any good vinegar to taste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment