Tuesday, March 27, 2012

On a chilly evening

It was chilly all day yesterday and a perfect evening to try celery soup.  I love celery and last winter there were celery seedlings on sale. Of course, I had to plant them and they are growing beautifully.

I harvested a head and cut off the tops like in the market. I made this simple soup.

1 head celery - about a pound
1 medium onion
1 medium russet potato (any starchy variety)
1 small clove of garlic
1 quart chicken broth
1 or 2 c water
salt and pepper
trace of ground mace

Saute the onion, add the garlic and saute about 1 minute more.  Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until tender.  Blend or puree the solids and voila! A delicious light soup.

Any ideas what to do with those beautiful tops? Celery broth I imagine, but they are definitely strong in flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment