Saturday, March 31, 2012

Duck legs on a Saturday evening

Guido and Bridgett had me over for dinner Thursday night.  Had a great time.  Guido had brought me a pressure cooker from Italy and would let me use it until I had watched him cook in his, given I had never used one.

He made pizza with a topping of olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary and course salt. Simple and very satisfying. In his pressure cooked he made broth with a beef shank, onion, celery (from my garden!) water, a Roma tomato or two, and a few mushrooms.  45 mins  and voila! A pot of fabulous broth.  It was ladled into bowls with baby farfalle pasta. So good. So good.

So today, I made a pressure cooker dinner.
I browned two duck legs and drained the fat.  In the remaining fat I sauteed onion and garlic slivers. I added very rough chop parsley and celery leaves, dried cherries, coriander seeds, whole allspice, bay leaves, thyme, port, red wine, broth, salt and pepper and attached the lid.. 45 minutes later I turned it off and waited the allotted time till the cooker could be opened.  Meantime I made polenta and a green salad salad from the garden.

Oh, it was good. Oh, so good. The only thing missing was bread to soak up the wonderful broth.

So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment