Monday, April 23, 2012

Potatoes!

Potatoes!

When I was a little girl my Mom carved out a bit of our garden for me.  I grew carrots and potatoes, always and carrots and potatoes. Each spring I would wait so patiently till I could plant them. And then, some months later, eat them.

 I have grown carrots for a number of years now, but not potatoes.  Last year I tried growing several varieties of potatoes in large pots.  I had read a decent harvest was possible but it didn't work very well for me.  So this year I just had to plant some.  Even though, they can be a pain, the tiniest dot of a potato will grow new potato plants. They are almost, just almost, a weed. Next year when I am growing something else in the bed I will be pulling tater weeds!

 And so, I planted 3 four foot rows of German Butterballs.  I did.  I did.  I dug three troughs, planted them and once they started coming up added a smaller layer of earth and covered the shoots.  I kept this up until the troughs were filled. Yesterday morning I filled the trough till it was finally full and this afternoon, after getting home form work, this is what I saw:

Go Butterballs!

No comments:

Post a Comment