Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Sunday

   This weekend had been lovely gardening time.  And the earwigs have thought it a good time to feast, too.  They mowed down my, grown from seed, tomato plants.  I did have two volunteers from last years tomato bed so those have been transplanted into the new bed.  They are probably either Brandywines, Cherokee Purples, or San Marzanos. I also bought several plants in pint pots. Two plants are sauce types, San Marzano and Amish Paste. One, a red grape type, Sweet Olive, is the only hybrid in the bunch. Another is a small yellow tomato and the fruits is 1.5 to 2 inch fruit, Yellow Perfection.  I also put in two plants of a variety known as Druzba, a Bulgarian heirloom slicer booked as a having perfect form, a long season, deep red juicy 10 inch tomato.

   Today, I picked spinach and we had an egg scramble with spinach and salsa over hot tortillas for breakfast.  I will harvest a head of celery for soup and the very first artichoke to make this evening's light meal.  We will be having a big Easter lunch with Francesca.

The iris are now my featured bloomers and the apricot tree has a bumper crop of fruit - if it only remains to harvest!

1 comment:

  1. ooooooo!
    I just got three, from seeds, tomato plants yesterday from Mary Ellen. 2 Marzanos and Stupice.
    We have put in a barrier board to prevent water runoff and hold back the soil in the 4536 front garden. so it is almost ready to put in beans and on Mother's Day the tomatoes and zuchs.
    I love the iris.

    ReplyDelete