Friday, July 6, 2012

And it is Friday


I've come up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend and yesterday morning I put together a basket for the kitchen  here. I love harvests! I brought potatoes, cherry and yellow tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, padron peppers, eggplant, shallots, garlic, dill, basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary, oh, and the last of the apricots. Shhh...I ate the apricots on the drive up! I just love the feeling of satisfaction I get from harvest.

The cabbage in last Friday's photos, shown here again, is now a quart of curing sauerkraut.  The lovely weighed 2.75 lbs. The cabbages all look like they will not be harvestable together.  This was the only one full-grown. Guess I will have to make several very small batch kraut this year.

I learned last year when the whole lot was ready at the same time how easy it is to make sauerkraut. And it was the best ever. The ratio is 5 pounds of shredded cabbage to 3 tablespoons of sea salt. That's it! Here's a link, rather than rewriting what is already so clearly written: http://boingboing.net/2009/01/12/making-sauerkraut-is.html .

My total apricot harvest has yielded enough apricots for 7 pies (5 frozen) and 3 batches of apricots  ready for jam-making (6 cups of apricots a batch). The spring just had to be perfect for them, just had to be, because this is a very young tree. I planted it as a bare root in January 2008.  This first photo is this past January after pruning.



 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment