Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Sunday

Two years in a row I planted chives in the garden's raised beds.  They were sickly.  Black aphids attacked them.  Green aphids attacked them.  Well, last year's poor plants must have set seed because the biggest, strongest and happiest planting of chives ever....are in the path!!!

I took this photo in the afternoon so the color is a bit washed out.

I do believe the winter squash vines are growing a foot a day.  Here's a pic of the same squash as in last week's post.  It is still very small but may be twice the size.



And this beauty is a winter squash blossom with a hard working honey bee.


Before the sun hit the back garden I replanted all the bearded iris now that the palm tree has been removed.  It was a lovely old palm and it just up an died.  It did shade the raised beds a part of the day and now I have a beautiful space for the iris so I am okay with the trade off.

I planted a row of turnips, carrots, beets and parsnips today.  The first three are supposed to be 60 days to harvest.  I hope so.  The parsnips are 100 days.  It hope it isn't too hot for seedlings. We'll try to keep them moist and see what we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment