Monday, July 9, 2012

July 9, 2012, Isle of Man's Senior Race Day




Home from Tahoe today. And out to the garden.  There were nectarines, zucchini, tomatoes and green beans to pick.  The nectarine is a dwarf tree and is just three years old.  Last year  there were four nectarines and this year, with a good spring I picked these:

 I gave the tomatoes a good deep watering and as the tomatoes have grown so tall I  had to tie them again. While working on them I found this bugger:

 Yep. A very hungry tomato hornworm. I luckily spotted it after seeing a couple of stripped leaves. Got 'em!

I also discovered the first of my winter squashes, Galeux d'Eysines. Hard to believe it will be ten to fifteen pounds and warty come autumn.


This is a copied image of the full grown Galeux d'Eysines from http://eatingtheworld.wordpress.com/2008/11/12/ftc-galeux-d-eysines/



The warts come from all the sugar that migrate to under the skin as the squash ripens.

No comments:

Post a Comment